I wanted to go all the way with this record -
it seemed right.
I spent the first half of 2011 in a house in Brighton in England alone
with my thoughts & memories.
Out of that, I believe, came a strength.
The decision to simply give it all.
This was for me,
this was for my family.
At times I thought this record would kill me.
it was a behemoth!
There were moments I felt I would sink beneath it.
But that’s the kind of thing you choose -
I chose to produce it myself.
I chose an orchestra.
An avalanche of sound,
soaring & shrieking,
simple & striking
to send you tumbling.
I do hope it makes you feel something.
I recorded & mixed most of this album in Stockholm, Sweden.
I then went on to record with the Bulgarian Symphony Orchestra.
(I have ancestry there on my father’s side,
which attracted me to the idea).
The orchestral arrangements were written by my good friend Nicholas Wales.
Here it is, I Awake!
I Awake is Sarah’s fourth studio album.
I Awake was recorded in Stockholm, Sweden with ‘As Day Follows Night’ engineer and mixer, Lasse Mårtén. Further recording then commenced in Sofia, Bulgaria with the Bulgarian Symphony Orchestra.
The album also features the talents of:
- David Symes – bass
- Fredrik Rundqvist – drums
- Thomas Tjärnkvist – piano
- John Eriksson – percussion
- Fredrik Kinbom – electric guitar & ukelele
- Stina Hellberg – harp
- Sarah also played ukulele & piano
- All three of her previous albums – ‘The Overture & the Underscore’, ‘What The Sea Wants, The Sea Will Have’ and ‘As Day Follows Night’ – have far exceeded Platinum sales.
- Sarah wrote the score for Bell Shakespeare’s Hamlet in 2008.
- Sarah has won two ARIAs for Best Female and Best Pop Album and also triple j’s J Award for Australian Album of the Year.
- She has been nominated for a further 14 ARIAs (including two for Album of The Year) and been shortlisted for two Australian Music Prizes and another J Award.